Gift gift everywhere, not a perfect gift in sight? Here are 21 perfect gift ideas for 6 to 9 year old kids, boy or girl! For a 6 to 9 year old child, there are 4 types of gifts that could be really useful. Something that they will cherish for a long time. There are 4 types of gifts that you could give.
- Gifts that support learning - A 6 to 9 year old child has started spending 4-7 hours every day at school. So if your gift could help them with learning math, science or language, it would be great. Check out some ideas here.
- Gifts that help them build strength by taking them outdoors - In this age of mobile phones, computer games and unlimited TV, can your gift help the child go outdoors? Can your help them get that much needed physical activity? Check out here
- Gifts that foster creativity - Ideas for gifts that encourage creative thinking and imagination. Find them here
- Gifts that nurture a hobby or skill - What if your gift could be start of a life long hobby or passion? Can one simple gift do it? Here are some ideas for that.
Gifts that facilitate learning
This is a time when studies have started becoming important for the kids and for you. Toys/games that will help them build curiosity, a scientific temperament to explore things around them will benefit them for the life time. You could also look at games and tools that they can leverage for their school activities in a fun manner and there a lot of them available today
- Math games. There are many available and we especially loved these 2 games on Addition and Multiplication. We had a chance to test them and they are a lot of fun and every time the kids play, they add value
- Science kits. The all time favorites. I dont think they will ever go out of fashion. These are especially cool gifts for 6 to 9 year old boys
- "How to" books e.g. subscription to popular-science magazine. I used to enjoy popular science as a kid. In fact, I thought that was one awesome gift for me. You could find the right gift based on the kid's taste.
- Subscription to websites that have educational games. Kids often find math difficult or intimidating. So how about some programs that help them learn math in a fun way. These things have become safe.
- Trips to local museums (especially natural history, gadgets etc). This might look like a small gift but would be interesting if you invite the whole gang of boys or group of girls to this trip. They will have a lot of fun and it will be unusual too.
- A vacation trip where fun can be combined with knowledge e.g. guided tour of historical place e.g. Ajanta caves or find something interesting near you. I am sure there are tons of such places. May be something that experiences an interesting geographic phenomenon
- Something away from the usual like a day spent helping the less fortunate can be thought of too. This will instill values deep within. Must think about it.
Gifts that help them go outdoors, exercise and gain strength
Ensuring that kids go outdoors and do some physical exercise and have an in-person interaction with their friends has become a task in itself. With video games, TVs, comics, mobile phones and internet, the only time kids leave their rooms is when they go to schools.
- Sports equipments - Actually, there are too many good options to choose from here ranging from football, baseball kit and more
- Memberships of adventure clubs, trekking groups which take kids out on a nature trail for 4 hours to 2 days under supervision of experts
- Bicycle is a treasure of a life time. Believe me. It not only brings mobility but gives immense sense of independence to the kids.
- Roller skates, Skate boards
- Ice skates or skies if you live in place where the kids could enjoy the snow
Gifts that foster creative thinking and imagination
We tend to focus on the left brain all the time. What about the right side that looks at beautiful things and is responsible for all the colors and beauty around us. Let kids explore their creative sides. Example of good gifts here are ...
- Coloring books are simple and elegant gifts
- Coloring instruments for example a set of 24 good sketch pens or water color set too is a good choice. Works well for boys and girls
- Creative classes for some special craft e.g. weaving, pottery etc. This need not be a 6 month extensive program. Even something for 2 days is good enough. Let the child know his / her interest because of your gift. If the direction is right, then they can go all the way
- Musical instruments are never out of fashion. In fact, once they grow older, they will thank you for this amazing skill that they have picked up
- Plasticine or modelling clay can bring an amazing outlet for all that pent up creativity
Gifts that nurture a hobby or skill
This is exactly the right time when children can pickup any skill with ease and it will stay with them for life if they enjoy it. It would be a good idea to explore this aspect as well. Your gift for boys and girls could be ...
- Sports classes e.g. tennis, swimming, cricket etc
- Musical instrument classes e.g. guitar, tabla etc.
- Dance classes. Choose an interesting and exotic dance. This will help keep their interest for a while.
- Learn a different language. Strongly strongly and even more strongly recommended. Might not seem like the most fun gift but its an awesome gift, especially in today's world. Again, you dont have to buy them 6 months expert program. Just something that whets their appetite. And then take it from there.
Did you get some ideas with this post? Would love to hear what you gave and how was the experience. Please share your original gift ideas below to make it even better for others.